Re: Performance Tuning Article

From: "Dmitri Bichko" <dbichko(at)aveopharma(dot)com>
To: "Frank Wiles" <frank(at)wiles(dot)org>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance Tuning Article
Date: 2005-06-24 22:02:36
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

The article seems to dismiss RAID5 a little too quickly.  For many
application types, using fast striped mirrors for the index space and
RAID5 for the data can offer quite good performance (provided a
sufficient number of spindles for the RAID5 - 5 or 6 disks or more).  In
fact, random read (ie most webapps) performance of RAID5 isn't
necessarily worse than that of RAID10, and can in fact be better in some
circumstances.  And, using the cheaper RAID5 might allow you to do that
separation between index and data in the first place.

Just thought I'd mention it,
Dmitri