Postgres 7.1rc4 on Cygwin fails to connect

From: "Richard Church" <rfchurch(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres 7.1rc4 on Cygwin fails to connect
Date: 2001-04-28 13:26:06
Lists: pgsql-ports
Question 1

I am able to install and initdb Postgres. But whenever I try to run psql or
createdb, it fails and I get the message below.

The part which starts 'backend closed the channel....'  always comes up with
rest of the message varying depending on the message.

psql: pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
	before or while processing the request.
createdb: database creation failed
pq_flush: send<> failed: The connection was aborted
pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: errno

Question 2

My postgresql.conf file is completely commented out.

Can anyone show me a sample which will at least allow connection via TCP/IP?

Could it be the reason why the commands above are not working?  I  execute
these commands from the cygwin console.

Thanks

Richard