Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications

From: "Mike Arace" <mikearace(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Deployment of PostgreSQL Applications
Date: 2001-08-31 12:59:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a (sorry) closed source application which consists of Java
servlets, beans, and client applications talking to a postgresql database.
Now, lets say I'm interested in bundling this all together and selling it to
customers.

2 questions:

1) Is it legal to bundle Postgresql with another commercial application,
assuming the database will have to be significantly reconfigured and tuned?
(at the application level, not the source code level) I read over the
licenses I could find on the site and they seemed to imply that the answer
was yes, but I'd like to reaffirm that.

2) More importantly, is it possible to prevent a customer from peeking into
said database once it is deployed on their machine? A large part of what
makes my application proprietary is the data model in the database, and it'd
be tough to maintain a competative edge when everyone can see exactly how I
do things in the database by logging into their postgres account, adding
some users and changing permissions on their machine. I really need to make
sure the database is bulletproof before I can begin deployment.

I' very new to postgresql and unix system administration in general, never
having secured a system or played with permissions much in the past. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike