CPU bound

From: Royce Ausburn <royce(at)inomial(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CPU bound
Date: 2010-12-13 02:43:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi all,

I notice that when restoring a DB on a laptop with an SDD, typically postgres is maxing out a CPU - even during a COPY.  I wonder, what is postgres usually doing with the CPU?  I would have thought the disk would usually be the bottleneck in the DB, but occasionally it's not.  We're embarking on a new DB server project and it'd be helpful to understand where the CPU is likely to be the bottleneck.

Cheers,

--Royce

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Robert HaasDate: 2010-12-13 03:30:27