Re: Saving result to file for download

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Saving result to file for download
Date: 2003-10-28 00:01:55
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi M.P.

On Tuesday, Oct 28, 2003, at 04:56 Asia/Tokyo, Mariusz Pekala wrote:

> Why have you decided to store results in a file? Is that file to be
> really
> big? or takes long to prepare?

Actually the file is pretty small (less than 8K) and is pretty quick to
make (less than 2 seconds). I just didn't know how to do it any other
way.

> Maybe generating the file 'on the fly' would be easier:
>
> 1) Provide a link to a script that generates the file
> (eg: <a href="file.php?type=whatever">get file here</a>
>
> 2) The script "file.php" sets the content type header to text/plain
> and just
> outputs the result of a query. I am not sure how to set HTTP header on
> Your
> webserver (with apache there is a PHP function header(string) )

This sounds like *exactly* what I am after. I'll give it a try!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I knew there should be a better
way but didn't know where to even start looking. I really appreciate
your help.

Michael