Re: Question about installing PostgreSQL on a Windows machine

From: "Sean McInerney" <sean_mackie(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: jason(at)tishler(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about installing PostgreSQL on a Windows machine
Date: 2002-10-18 21:35:21
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I figured that part out and have since installed absolutely everything I can
with cygwin, as well as installing cygipc-1.11.1 and when I run ./configure
for PostgreSQL it errors out at - checking whether the C compiler (gcc -02)
works... no

It says my c compiler cannot create executables.

I downloaded and installed the most recent version of cygwin there was. I'm
now giving up as I've wasted too much time on this and the instructions are
about as clear as mud.

I sometimes want to venture back into the Unix world, then I try something
like this. Sorry to say but Windows is just too easy. I highly encourage
you to make a thorough, accurate readme if you want people to use your
software.

Regards,
Sean

>From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
>To: Sean McInerney <sean_mackie(at)hotmail(dot)com>
>CC: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] Question about installing PostgreSQL on a Windows
>machine
>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:52:44 -0400
>
>Sean,
>
>On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 06:46:49PM +0000, Sean McInerney wrote:
> > I am trying to follow your FAQ_MSWIN instructions but am having trouble
> > immediately.
>
>Please read the Cygwin PostgreSQL README:
>
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.2.3.README
>
>or
>

>http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.3.README
>
> > #1 says to install cygwin, which I have done, but it does not come
> > with a pre-built version of PostgreSQL.
>
>Yes it does -- look under the the Database category.
>
> > Did I install the wrong version of cygwin?
>
>No.
>
> > which produces: tar (child): bzip2: Cannot exec: No such file or
>directory
> >
> > I'm assuming I don't have bzip2 installed?
>
>Correct.
>
> > How can I achieve this?
>
>Rerun setup.exe and select it from the Utils category.
>
>Jason

Surf the Web without missing calls!Get MSN Broadband.