POSTGRES CONNECTDBSTART() ERROR

From: "Mario Snchez" <mrxm(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: POSTGRES CONNECTDBSTART() ERROR
Date: 2001-03-23 14:01:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi, my name is mario sanchez, i work on a telecommunications company on the
dominican republic. I recently installed postgres 7.0.1 on a Sun server with
Solaris 5.7. It is working fine but, suddenly this morning when i tried to
get connected to the database it kept giving me this error:

connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

The weird thing is, I have a C program that's always connected to the
database inserting records i receive from certain switch we have in the
company. And this process was still connected and still inserting records
to the database. It seemed that the database wasnt accepting anymore
connections by some weird reason. I had to stop de postmaster with the kill
-9 option becase the kill -INT didn't work. Buen when i started the
postmaster again, it just worked fine, like nothing had happend. CAN YOU
HELP ME OUT WITH THIS? Maybe it is just an option i'm not using or what?
need more memory for postgres? I run the postmaster with the options:

postmaster -D /actual/data/ -i -o -F

is there anything i can do for preventing this to happen again? why did this
happen?

thanks,

Mario Sanchez
Telecomm. Engineer