Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL

From: "Stephen Denne" <Stephen(dot)Denne(at)datamail(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-06-04 04:08:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> The simplest form of synchronous wal shipping would not even need
> postgresql running on slave, just a small daemon which
> reports when wal
> blocks are a) received and b) synced to disk.

While that does sound simple, I'd presume that most people would want the guarantee of the same version of postgresql installed wherever the logs are ending up, with the log receiver speaking the same protocol version as the log sender. I imagine that would be most easily achieved through using something like the continuously restoring startup mode of current postgresql.

However variations on this kind of daemon can be used to perform testing, configuring it to work well, go slow, pause, not respond, disconnect, or fail in particular ways, emulating disk full, etc.

Regards,
Stephen Denne.
--
At the Datamail Group we value teamwork, respect, achievement, client focus, and courage.
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.

The Datamail Group, through our GoGreen programme, is committed to environmental sustainability.
Help us in our efforts by not printing this email.
  This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.