Getting started on W2K installation of postgreSQL

From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Getting started on W2K installation of postgreSQL
Date: 2001-06-11 23:36:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Folks,

I'm just trying to get started on setting up postgreSQL on a Windows 2000
box, and I'm horribly confused. I've tried both techinqiues: compile
natively using Visual C++, and install cygwin and run the "Unix" version.

I'm to the point where I'm running a bash shell and am trying to start the
"easy" installation instrucitons. However, when I type in "./configure"
I get hte error:

  configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
  create executables.

I tried changing the permissions on the postgresql-7.1.2 directory but
that didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Stuck but hopeful,
Robby