RE: COUNT doesn't shows items with 0 occurrance

From: "Robby Slaughter" <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
To: "Giorgio A(dot)" <jh(at)libero(dot)it>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: COUNT doesn't shows items with 0 occurrance
Date: 2001-07-17 16:14:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Giorgio,

Sounds like (but correct me if I'm wrong) you have a table like:

pieces
--------
hammer
nails
hammer
screws
ruler

If you do a select count(*) on this table and include a group by,
it's just going to give you the statisitcs

hammer 2
nails 1
screws 1
ruler 1

So I'm not really sure what you're asking. Maybe you could give
an example of what is in your table and what you are trying to
get out?

-Robby