RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/commands (command.c vacuum.c)

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jan Wieck" <wieck(at)hub(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/commands (command.c vacuum.c)
Date: 2000-12-10 13:48:12
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers

There's no command other than VACUUM which continues to
access table/index after *commit*. We couldn't process
significant procedures in such an already commiitted state,
could we ?

> Really, the TOAST table is being treated the same way we handle
> indexes, and I think that's good.

If I recognize correctly,TOAST table is a table not an index and
is little different from ordinary tables. VACUUM now vacuums
2 tables in a transaction for tables with TOAST columns.
I don't think it's right and my question is simple.
What's wrong with vacuuming master and the toast table in
separate transactions ?

Regrads.
Hiroshi Inoue