RE: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Don Baccus" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Zeugswetter Andreas SB'" <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date: 2001-05-27 08:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it proper/safe for a DBMS to allow the system eating all disk
space ? For example, could we expect to recover the database
even when no disk space available ?

1) even before WAL
Is 'deleting records and vacuum' always possible ?
I saw the cases that indexes grow by vacuum.

2) under WAL(current)
If DROP or VACUUM is done after a checkpoint, wouldn't
REDO recovery add the pages drop/truncated by the
DROP/VACUUM ?

3) with rollback data
Shouldn't WAL log UNDO operations either ?
If so, UNDO requires an extra disk space which could
be unlimitedly big.

There's another serious problem. Once UNDO is required
with a biiiig rollback data, it would take a veeery long time
to undo. It's quite different from the current behavior. Even
though people want to cancel the UNDO, there's no way
unfortunately(under an overwriting smgr).

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue