Re: Status of ODBC driver managers on Unix

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Nick Gorham" <nick(at)easysoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Status of ODBC driver managers on Unix
Date: 2001-09-22 00:24:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

AFAIK the driver's name of unixODBC is libodbcpsql.so currently
and doesn't conflict with libosqlodbc.so.

> This could be easy to arrange with two make targets that link in a
> different library, but the subject of include files is tricky. I'm not
> sure if it's reasonable to have both iODBC and unixODBC installed since
> they both install some of the same files, such as sql.h and sqlext.h.
>
> > I'm not sure about how to change the current iODBC
> > support. I didn't find the library in iODBC like
> > odbcinst in unixODBC.
>
> The version 3.0.5 I'm looking at contains a library libiodbcinst which
> contains the function SQLGetPrivateProfileString.

Hmm we may be able to have a common driver for unixODBC,
iODBC(newer) and Merant DM(according to Nick Gorham).
Is it possible to provide a dummy libodbcinst and link it at compile
time ? If so we don't need the packages at build time though
there remains a problem where/how to find sql(ext).h.

> > If there are some people who expect continuous iODBC support, gpps.c
> > should be removed or improved at least.
>
> Probably removed.
>
> But another thing that occurred to me is that if you want to use ODBC on
> Unix for ApplixWare or StarOffice you don't necessarily have a driver
> manager installed with header files and such, so we probably need to keep
> the standalone version.

Agreed.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue