Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-30 10:26:04
Lists: pgsql-general
On 30 Jul 2010, at 2:25, Bill wrote:

> My guess is that there are a lot of people who know of
> MySQL who have never heard of PostgreSQL.

This is unfortunately still true.
Recently I've been going through a series of job applications at several companies and frequently the IT people I was talking to there didn't know Postgres, while they always knew MySQL, Oracle and MSSQL. Some even mistook it for Progress, which I never heard of until about a year ago - apparently that's some old 4GL commercial database that's still in use in places. I had to explain that Postgres is an enterprise level database that's directly competing with Oracle and MSSQL!

That said, I've also been at several PHP shops that had switched over from MySQL to Postgres because MySQL didn't live up to their expectations.

This is of course by no means a representative measurement, but from my observations Postgres does seem to be on the rise. There's still a ways to go to make potential users aware of its existence though.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4c52a8c2286211512421222!