Re: extremly low memory usage

From: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extremly low memory usage
Date: 2005-08-20 07:12:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Aug 19, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:

> Rebuild in progress with just ext3 on the raid array...will see if
> this
> helps the access times.

 From my recent experiences, I can say ext3 is probably not a great
choice for Pg databases.  If you check the archives you'll see
there's a lot of discussion about various journalling filesystems and
ext3 usually(always?) comes up on the bottom as far as performance
goes.  If you insist on using it, I would at least recommend the
noatime option in fstab and using data=writeback to get the faster of
the journal modes.

XFS seems to be a trusted choice, followed by Reiser and JFS both
with the occasional controversy when the comparisons pop up.

-Dan