Re: [DOCS] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] 7.4 official docs : Fonts?
Date: 2003-11-28 10:30:49
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
On Friday, November 28, 2003, at 05:33 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> Color works well on-screen with html.  Small-point-size italics are
> hard to read on-screen, agreed.
>
> Italics work well on B&W printout with PDF.  (In general.  I'm not
> looking at the specific example.)
>
> Can you map things somehow to get the best of both worlds?

If you're talking about printing from the browser, you can have
separate style sheets with different media targets, so media="screen"
could have the color, while media="print" could have italics. It's
really flexible. At work I have a form letter that's generated on
screen, and includes all of the navigation for moving around the site.
When you print the page, the media="print" style sheet omits the
navigation, restyles the page with different fonts and sizes, and adds
the number we want to fax it to (Yes, I know. We still use fax for a
large part of our interoffice correspondence. I'm trying to move us
away from that, but it's a hard slog.)

As for the PDF docs, they're formatting is indeed different. I assume
that the SGML to PDF path is different from the SGML to HTML path
(which is of course one of the benefits of using SGML).

Is this what you mean?

Michael