encoding question

From: Warren Little <Warren(dot)Little(at)MeridiasCapital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: encoding question
Date: 2007-05-03 19:45:28
Lists: pgsql-admin
I'm getting the following error from a query being generated from MS
Access :
character 0xefbfbd of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "LATIN9"

Upon reviewing the archives I found the following:

"Kevin McCarthy" <kemccarthy1 ( at ) gmail ( dot ) com> writes:
 > Often users will copy and paste text directly from MS Word docs
into the
 > forms which will invariably contain Microsoft's proprietary
formatting of
 > characters such as 'smart' quotes, trademark, copyright symbols,
accent
 > grave, etc. We've set the HTML pages as UTF-8 and the database
connection to
 > UTF-8. However when our calls to import the data that includes any
of these
 > characters into the database, the queries fail complaining that e.g.
 > "[nativecode=ERROR:  character 0xe28093 of encoding "UTF8" has no
equivalent
 > in "LATIN9"]"

That error suggests that your database encoding is LATIN9, not UTF-8.
You need to change it.  Beware that you need the server's locale
settings to be in step, too.

regards, tom lane

---------

So I ran
tigris=# show server_encoding;
server_encoding
-----------------
UTF8
(1 row)

and

tigris=# show client_encoding;
client_encoding
-----------------
UTF8
(1 row)

What else should I be looking at?

thanks

Warren Little
Chief Technology Officer
Meridias Capital Inc
ph 866.369.7763

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Elim QiuDate: 2007-05-03 20:23:21