Periodic bottle-neck in high load app

From: KÖPFERL Robert <robert(dot)koepferl(at)sonorys(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Periodic bottle-neck in high load app
Date: 2005-06-22 16:57:48
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

we're running a high load applicatoin (Disks are hard working). While the
load is rather constant in it's short term behaviour, we are experiencing a
bottle-neck in regular intervals.

In such case all connections get used up and pgadmin's
"server-status"-Window is totally filled with statements, while single
statements take 3-10 sec (normal: <0.2s). But then there're long periods of
constant average load wich postgres is rather playing.

SO: Is there some periodic scheduled activity, postgres does lets say every
5 min ?  (that can pond up many many statements)
What else could do that? Currently all periodic activities are paused.

Tanks in advance

PS. new harddisks are coming

pgsql-admin by date