Re: Entering data

From: KÖPFERL Robert <robert(dot)koepferl(at)sonorys(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Entering data
Date: 2005-01-25 12:59:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

> Hi,
>
> I'm using pgadmin 1.2.0 the version bundled with postgreSQL 8.0 on a
> windows XP machine. I am unable to enter data on any table if
> that table
> doesn't have a primary key. If the table has a primary key then I can
> enter data through the View edit data screen.

You're wondering you? You mustn't.

This is normal behavour. The reason is in the understanding of SQL or tuple
arithmetics. A Relation or Table is nothing else than a set of records.
There is no order, no identification. Thus it's not possible to edit
individual records.
There may however be some constraints. UNIQUE constraints over single
columns (Or OIDs). This makes it possible to identify elements (records)
of such a set. Thus they can be edited via an editor. OIDs do also help to
make it editable.