Re: Pgstat.tmp file activity

From: "Dan Austin" <DAustin(at)au(dot)westfield(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgstat.tmp file activity
Date: 2005-12-23 05:50:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

> [...]
> Right, the file is fully written under a temp name, and then
> rename()'d

This makes sense and is almost certainly not the cause of the problem.
Although there is a lot more data being written to that file than I
would have thought.

One of Sun's kernel engineers has come up with a solution that seems to
have fixed the problem. Instead of increasing work_mem (which we still
might do) we've mounted a swapfs partition over the pg temp directory:

# mount | grep pgsql_tmp
/export/data/pgsql/data/base/64920741/pgsql_tmp on swap [...]

This has actually reduced the disk activity considerably. So far, the
blocking problem seems to have gone.

Now to find some Postgres DBAs in Sydney to do some review / tuning of
our memory settings. :-)

Dan

--
Confidential: This email is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed. The information contained in this email may be