Re: Ultimate DB Server

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Mike Rogers" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jean-Michel POURE" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Ultimate DB Server
Date: 2001-10-29 01:52:35
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> MySQL and PostgreSQL are starting to move together as far as I can see.
> MySQL has the _option_ of transactional database formats (you can use both
> normal MyISAM tables and transactional tables). MySQL 4.0 has all those
> various features you speak of.

Not it doesn't.

It supports the UNION statement (thank god!)

And this is for 4.1:

-------
MySQL 4.1, the following development release

Internally, through a new .frm file format for table definitions, MySQL 4.0
lays the foundation for the new features of MySQL 4.1, such as nested
subqueries, stored procedures, and foreign key integrity rules, which form
the top of the wish list for many of our customers. Along with those, we
will also include simpler additions, such as multi-table UPDATE statements.

After those additions, critics of MySQL have to be more imaginative than
ever in pointing out deficiencies in the MySQL Database Management System.
For long already known for its stability, speed, and ease of use, MySQL will
then match the requirement checklist of very demanding buyers.
--------

I don't get how you can have different tables being transactional in your
database??

ie. What on earth does this do? (pseudo)

create table blah not_transactional;
create table hum not_transactional;

begin;
insert into blah values (1);
insert into hum values (2);
rollback;

?????

On all too many applications, MySQL kicks