type unknown?

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: type unknown?
Date: 2008-09-18 20:29:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings one and all,

I am porting all my databases from a 32 bit Postgres engine to 64 bit
Postgres. To do this, I did a pg_dumpall and I'm restoring. I got
an error on the restoration as follows:

psql:/dbsdisk/data_load/dbdev_all_080915.sql:3920581: WARNING:
column "collection" has type "unknown"
DETAIL: Proceeding with relation creation anyway.

The view that was being processes when the error occurred is:

View "public.v_cos_master_year_count"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------+-------------------+-----------
collection | text |
year | character varying |
entry_count | bigint |
View definition:
SELECT 'cos'::text AS collection, cos_master.year_published AS
"year", count(cos_master.id) AS entry_count
FROM cos_master
GROUP BY cos_master.year_published, cos_master.collection
ORDER BY cos_master.year_published;

There are a number of views in this particular database where
"collection" is used in this way and they all get this warning. Text
is a valid type, albeit nonstandard. What is triggering this warning?

Thanks,
Carol