pg_ctl stop -m fast

From: "Lee Wu" <Lwu(at)mxlogic(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_ctl stop -m fast
Date: 2004-10-28 02:04:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

One of our customers complains about
pg_ctl stop -m fast
could not shutdown PG server though we cannot reproduce the same problem here.

They claim only "-m immediate" can take PG down after issuing "-m fast".

The PG version is 7.3.2.

What might prevent "-m fast" to shutdown PG (long transaction, etc.)?
What should I do to help the customer solve this issue?

Thanks,