Re: transaction error handling

From: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>
To: Rob Richardson <RDRichardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: transaction error handling
Date: 2011-11-30 13:19:40
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-bugs

You might want your code to recover from an error and take a different approach.

> I thought the purpose of a transaction was to make sure that all steps
> in the transaction executed, or none of them executed. If Oracle saves
> half of the data between the beginning and ending of the transaction,
> doesn't that defeat the purpose of the transaction?

This functionality is something that Postgres can do today. We expose the ability to do this with explicit savepoints. The difference is that Oracle allows you to set it on a per transaction basis (I believe) and it will behave this way for all statements in the transaction, where as we need to do it explicitly. Looking through the archives there does seem to be a performance problem on commit in Postgres if you issue a lot of savepoints (there were discussions of a fix but I am not sure the status of this).

Brad.