Re: Errors installing contrib

From: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Errors installing contrib
Date: 2008-09-19 22:52:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sep 19, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Jeff Frost wrote:

> kevin kempter wrote:
>>
>> ok so I have more info.
>>

>> a pg_config --libdir shows me /usr/lib64
>>
>> however the make install installs the pg_buffercache in /pgmoveable/
>> lib/postgresql
>>

> How was postgresql installed on the machine in the first place?
> RPM? DEB? Just guessing by the pg_config output, I'd say postgresql
> was installed on the server via some package management and you also
> have a separately compiled source tree? If you installed from
> package management, there usually is a contrib package which
> contains pg_buffercache as well as the other normal contrib modules.

Looks like they have both. there are postgres binaries in /usr/bin
tied to 8.1.4 RPM's. There are also binaries in /pg825/bin tied to a
postgres 8.2.5 source install.

In either case I get the same error

I go to /usr/share/pgsql/contrib installed by the postgresql-
contrib-8.1.4-1.1 rpm and run /usr/bin/psql -f pg_buffercache.sql
<dbname>

I also tried goint to the src tree in the contrib/pg_buffercache dir
and running this:
export PATH=/pg825/bin
make (as postgres)
make install (as root)
/pg825/bin/psql -f pg_buffercache.sql <dbname>

also
/usr/bin/pg_config --libdir shows me /usr/lib64

/pg825/bin/pg_config --libdir shows me /disk1/pg825/lib

I even tried placing the pg_buffercache.so.* files from the src build
in the lib dirs:
/usr/lib64
/disk1/pg825/lib
/disk1/pg825/lib/postgresql

and I still got the same error

Thoughts ?

>> Thoughts ?
>>

>> On Sep 19, 2008, at 3:51 PM, kevin kempter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All;
>>>
>>> I've gone into contribs/pg_buffercache and run this:
>>>
>>> make (as postgres)
>>> make install (as root)
>>> psql -f pg_buffercache.sql <my_db>
>>>
>>> when I run the psql command against my database I get this:
>>>
>>> BEGIN
>>> SET