Suggestion for MSVC build

From: "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Suggestion for MSVC build
Date: 2007-09-24 02:03:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems like there isn't any good reason the perl scripts for the MSVC
build don't support readline

Readline for windows is available as part of the GnuWin32 project.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/readline.htm

It normally installs to "c:\Program Files\GnuWin32"

I'd update the scripts myself, but I'm not a PERL programmer.

From what I can see, you'd add another line to config.pl for readline,
and then add some stuff to mkvcbuild.pm for psql to do something like:

if ($solution->{options}->{readline})

{

$psql->AddIncludeDir($solution->{options}->{readline} . '\include');

$psql->AddLibrary($solution->{options}->{readline} .
'\lib\readline.lib');

$psql->AddLibrary($solution->{options}->{readline} .
'\lib\history.lib');

}

And something to solution.pm in the part that builds pg_config.h that
looks something like:

if ($self->{options}->{readline})

{

print O "#define
HAVE_LIBREADLINE 1\n";

print O "#define
HAVE_READLINE_READLINE_H 1\n";

print O "#define
HAVE_READLINE_HISTORY_H 1\n";

print O "#define
USE_READLINE 1\n";

print O "#define
USE_READLINE_STATIC 1\n";

}

(Not sure about the last line).

I don't know if this is a good idea, but I would think this would make
psql more "user-friendly" on windows.

Perhaps someone who understands readline and perl better than me might
want to take this on?