Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-08-18 15:12:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 18, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>>> First pass is done. Needs a little cleanup before sharing. I spent a
>>> fair while down OS-specific-hardware-queries rathole, but I'm
>>> better now.
>>
>> Gods, I hope you gave up on that. You want to use SIGAR or
>> something.
>
> If it's going to be C++, and reasonably cross platform, and a pg tool,
> why not try to build something as a module in pgAdmin? Certainly going
> to get you a larger exposure... And I'm sure the pgAdmin team would be
> happy to have it!

I'm attempting to build it as something that can be used in several
places. Where there's most need for it is as an install time option
in installers, particularly on Windows.

There's no reason the same underlying code couldn't also go into
pgAdmin, of course. At the moment the code is a bit Qt specific,
reducing that is part of the cleanup.

Cheers,
Steve