Re: Upgrade from 7.4.5 to 8.3.3

From: "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA(at)OneSteel(dot)com>
To: <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade from 7.4.5 to 8.3.3
Date: 2008-10-30 22:10:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Zdenek,

> Harvey, Allan AC napsal(a):
> > Zdenek,
> >
> >> Hmm, It does not look good. Your OS does not return proper
> >> information about
> >> codeset. Following code is broken:
> >>
> >> setlocale(LC_CTYPE, ctype);
> >> sys = nl_langinfo(CODESET);
> >> sys = strdup(sys);
> >>
> >> See
> >> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/nl_lan
> > ginfo.html
> >
> >> It seems you need to fix OS first. After that we can add
> CODESET mapping to
> >> PostgreSQL.
> >
> >> Zdenek
> >
> > I don't think this is possible.
> >
> > Can you give me an indication what problems I should look out for?
> > Regression testing only showed some date format issues if I
> remeber correctly.
> >

> I think, problem could be on two places:
>
> 1) libc is broken and does not return correct values.
> 2) locale definition does not contain CODESET information.
>
> Do you use system libc or glibc? You can try create own
> locale by localedef and
> test what happen.
>
> Zdenek

I think it would have to be glibc as I used the gcc loaded with the "skunkware" tools that SCO provide.
To date I have had no operational problems, I guess it must be a relatively simple use of postgres.

So I thank you and all the others for their time and suggest that we let this one slide unless you really want to get to the bottom of it. I have the time, just not the understanding of "locale"s and the implications and implementations.

Allan

The material contained in this email may be confidential, privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient, use, disclosure or copying of this information is prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please advise the sender and delete the document. Neither OneSteel nor the sender accept responsibility for any viruses contained in this email or any attachments.