Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: 'Merlin Moncure' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Win 32 hackers PGSQL <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32
Date: 2004-12-03 03:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> How is it that this has not bitten us elsewhere?  Are we only reading
> tiny things from pipes in other cases so that a single read works?

IIRC, this particular use of ReadFile is only to read version strings.

> It seems very strange that a shorter version string should cause the
failure.

Counterintuitive, but appeared entirely reproducible on my WinXP
installation. No doubt there is a perfectly unreasonable explanation.
Interested in seeing another confirmation.

In any case, afaics ReadFile fails to make any guarantee that it will return
an entire line, so pipe_read_line requires attention.

Cheers,
Claudio

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date