Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Merlin Moncure' <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Win 32 hackers PGSQL <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] scalability issues on win32
Date: 2004-12-03 01:59:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Hi Merlin,

> On a probably unrelated note:
> Can some other win32 hacker try the following?
> Download the latest cvs sources from the server and edit configure,
> replacing all instances of '8.0beta5' with '8.0' etc. as is
> will be when released.  Following that do a full make/make clean.  After
> that try and start he server with pg_ctl.exe and tell me if it succeeds or
not.

I can confirm this failure.

(in my case at least) pg_ctl is not seeing the full version string of the
postmaster in find_other_exec. This is due to the single call to ReadFile in
pipe_read_line, which is not returning the entire version string (losing all
characters beyond the last decimal point in the version string). A
subsequent call to ReadFile picks up the remainder of the string. I don't
see that we can rely on a single call returning the entire version string.

If someone can run with this, I've attached initial looping changes for
pipe_read_line. However I'm not sure of the correct terminating condition
(gets into a call to ReadFile that never returns; the WaitForSingleObject
appears insufficient as a precondition for ReadFile) and just don't have
time to complete it right now.

Cheers,
Claudio

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date