Re: [ANNOUNCE] pgAdmin III v1.4.0 Beta 3 released for testing

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "John DeSoi" <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] pgAdmin III v1.4.0 Beta 3 released for testing
Date: 2005-10-25 13:16:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi John,

> On Oct 20, 2005, at 3:47 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>
> > Beta 3 of pgAdmin 1.4.0, the graphical PostgreSQL
> administration tool
> > for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris is now available
> for download
> > from http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/beta/
>

> Is there a reason you don't mention OS X? From previous
> announcements

Pure oversight :-(

> I thought it was not ready for beta testing since it was not listed.
> But I made my lazy self check today and found that there is a OS X
> beta version. And wow, I'm very impressed with with the overall
> visual appearance. Much improved. Now you just need to get the OK/
> Cancel buttons in the right order for Mac users :).

Thanks :-). I'll look at reversing the OK/Cancel buttons sometime. I
just got hold of a Mac myself, so I'm working on improving these things.

> A few issues I noticed:
>
> Data browser does not honor the maximum number of rows
> setting. I set
> mine to 1000 and loads every row in the table.

Actually it never did - that option is only used by the SQL Tool. I'll
improve the documentation about that.

> In the documentation viewer I went to some web page links and get
> lots of "No handler for image type" errors. Example:
>
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dpage/index.php?/archives/2-
> Support-rant-Dave-goes-off-on-one!!!.html

Hmm, I wonder if it doesn't like the png images at the bottom. I'll look
at that.

> > - Password can be stored in .pgass/pgpass.conf files
>
> Is this supposed to work for connecting to the server in the main
> window. My server is on localhost:5432 and I had the entry below in
> my .pgpass but it still prompted me for the password. But it is very
> nice the password prompt window now allows me to save the password.
> Where are they stored?
>
> localhost:5432:*:user:pass

It stores it in .pgpass, or at least it's supposed to. It's not beyond
the realms of possibility that it's not picking up the home directory
corectly on OS X - certainly it didn't as far as logfiles were concerned
at one point. I'll look at this as well.

> Great job on the new version.

Thanks :-)

Regards, Dave.