Re: pgAdmin III 1.2.2 edit grid crashes with single-column

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Dr(dot) Harald Fricke" <hfricke(at)hdz-nrw(dot)de>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III 1.2.2 edit grid crashes with single-column
Date: 2005-10-24 13:23:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

:-(

> 1. (V 1.2.2) The original problem also occurs on another
> computer when
> accessing the original database. So it is not just my
> (client) computer
> acting up.

OK.

> 2. (V1.4.0b3) I have created a test table with:
>
> -- drop table t;
> create table t(v varchar(64) primary key) without oids;
> COMMENT ON TABLE t IS 'Betriebssystem-Namen für Auswahlliste';
>
> On the first attempt, the edit grid refused to insert data and
> complained about an syntax error at ')' at character 15.
> I dropped and re-created the table and after that, the edit
> grid worked
> and continued to work. I have not been able to reproduce this
> behaviour.

Where did the data you are inserting come from? Is it possible a null or some other odd character got in there somehow? Have you enetered the same data that it crashed on successfully?

Can you get it to reproduce the syntax error with logging set to include SQL statements, and send the resulting log file (or at least the bit with the broken query)?

> 3. (V1.4.0b3) The problem goes away when I export the database and
> recreate it (on the same server, but with a different name).
> The tables
> in the original database still do not work.
>
> 4. (V1.4.0b3) If I cannot insert data, deleting from the edit
> grid also
> crashes pgAdmin.
>
> 5. (V1.4.0b3) The original table definition, as shown by pgAdmin, is
> CREATE TABLE osnames
> (
> name varchar(64) NOT NULL,
> CONSTRAINT osnames_name_pkey PRIMARY KEY (name)
> )
> WITHOUT OIDS;
> ALTER TABLE osnames OWNER TO ip;
> COMMENT ON TABLE osnames IS 'Betriebssystem-Namen für Auswahlliste'

Nope, still can't recreate the problem :-(

> 6. (unrelated, has been mentioned in another thread too)
> Backup does not
> work with V1.4.0b3. It looks as if pgAdmin tries to spawn another
> process to do the pg_dump, but the name of the command is
> missing from
> the command line. pgAdmin crashes after the attempt. This suggests a
> sprintf() pointer problem while assembling the command line.
>
> I'm sorry, but I am unable to narrow the problem down any further.

Fixed now in SVN - thanks. There were 2 problems - it wasn't looking for pg_dump/pg_restore in the app directory as it should (it was looking just about everywhere else!), and it didn't disable/remove the menu options as it should have when it couldn't find the help programs.

Regards, Dave.