Re: pgAdmin on OSX

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <scottiebo(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin on OSX
Date: 2005-10-14 08:21:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Scott,

> The reason that your getting that "backgrounded" interface is due to
> a missing resource fork; however, you can avoid dealing with that by
> creating an appbundle.
>
> The appbundle is just a directory structure that the os sees as an
> executable. If you structure it right, you can get the app to fire up
> and run like it should:
>
> bundlename.app\
> - Pkginfo
> - Contents\
> - Info.plist: This is the "heart" of the
> appbundle
> - MacOS\
> - Your executable(s) here
> - Resources\
> - your .icns (multi-icons) file
>
> The Info.plist file basically tells the OS what executable to run when
> you double click, what icon to use, etc...
>
> The format of info.plist in the binary release of pgadmin is probably
> all you'll need to get up and running.

Thanks for the info. We do have code for building an appbundle, however
it seems I was running a script that didn't work properly for some
as-yet unknown reason, blissfully unaware that the install target will
build the appbundle on Mac!

> That's it for the appbundle; now if you'd rather create a "double
> clickable" executable without all that, you need to add a
> resource fork
> to it. I was using the command below but was running into some issues
> with wxWidgets. Also, with a rez fork, you have to be VERY careful
> about how you move the file around on your system, i.e. if you move it
> via 'cp', 'mv' or tar, you're going to lose that resource fork and get
> stuck with a useless rectagle on your screen again. With the
> appbundle, you don't have to deal with that kind of thing, AND that's
> what Mac Heads are used to ;)
>
> /Developer/Tools/Rez -d __DARWIN__ -t APPL -d __WXMAC__ -i . -i
> > include/ -o /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 Carbon.r
> > /path/to/wx2/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.r

Ahh, yes I had spotted mention of Rez on Google groups. It'll be useful
to have your notes in the archives for future debugging etc.

Anyway, now I'm managing to build a bundle that essentially works, I can
get to tracking down actual bugs in the port :-)

Thanks again, Dave.