Re: Build with Visual Studio & MSVC

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Chuck McDevitt" <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build with Visual Studio & MSVC
Date: 2005-09-09 18:58:01
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-hackers-win32

________________________________

	From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Chuck McDevitt
	Sent: 09 September 2005 19:38
	To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Cc: PostgreSQL-development
	Subject: [HACKERS] Build with Visual Studio & MSVC

	Just for fun, I went through PostgreSQL 8.1 and did a complete
build using Microsoft's C and the latest Visual Studio.

	With a few minor tweaks, everything compiled with no errors.

	My assumption is that because PostgreSQL is a UNIX/Linux-centric
project (and gcc/gdb centric), this really isn't of much interest to
anyone.

	So other than this e-mail, I don't plan to do anything with this
except for my own amusement.

	If I'm wrong, and there is some real interest in supporting
MSVC, let me know, and I'll put some work into cleaning it up and making
patches out of it, etc.

Hi Chuck,

We discussed this again on list only the other day in fact! Basically
we're not particulalry interested in supporting VS prject files in place
of gmake/autoconf, purely because they will undoubtedly cause
maintenance headaches as the majority of our developers don't have
Windows boxes, let alone a copy of Visual Studio.

However, if you need something to keep yourself amused (unless I can
persuade you to come help out with psqlODBC :-) ), we would be
interested in patches that allow us to use Microsoft's compiler as an
alternative to gcc.

It's interesting to know it built fairly easily though...

Regards, Dave.

Previous:From: Chuck McDevittDate: 2005-09-09 18:37:37
Previous:From: Chuck McDevittDate: 2005-09-09 18:37:37