Re: ODBC driver: Rows Affected

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Nathan Pfluger" <npfluger(at)vcommerce(dot)com>,<pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC driver: Rows Affected
Date: 2005-08-24 09:05:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

	From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Nathan Pfluger
	Sent: 23 August 2005 22:52
	To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
	Subject: [ODBC] ODBC driver: Rows Affected

	Previous (non gborg) versions of the driver return the number of
RowsAffected by an Update (didn't test delete) statement, but this one
does not.  It seems to always return -1.

This is fixed in CVS and will be in the next snapshot.

	Not sure if it's the odbc interface or the tools I'm using (ADO
dataset with Delphi)  I am looking at the difference in the ODBC logs
and see this:  (Query was in a transaction and rolled back)

	I read through the archives and saw that this problem was in a
patch to the 02 version. Did that patch get into 0003.

No, it was only a few days ago
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/psqlodbc/connection.c?cv
sroot=psqlodbc - see rev 1.106).

	Also it was noted that the 0003 version should fix the BDE issue
and it has not (which is why I using ADO.  The reason I use BDE still is
that it seems to behave better with very large record sets and the
Declare/Fetch option turned on)  I can use ADO but I liked having the
flexibility.

	The issue (I looked into this while tracking down some Unicode
stuff with the old driver) is that the driver returns a data type that
is unrecognized by the BDE which then just throws the field away (this
is what makes the dbexplorer tool not work)

Yes, that was my conclusion after playing with it for a while. In some
circumstances (ie. when you view data on a table), it simply queries and
displays the results. However, if you do a SELECT * FROM... it does a
SQLDescribeCol on each column first, it then ignores all the
SQL_C_WVARCHAR ones (or something like that iirc). Unless I'm missing
some subtle point, I can only conclude  that dbexplorer/BDE simply
doesn't work properly with Unicode - I certainly couldn't find anything
wrong in the drivers responses.

:-(

Regards, Dave.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Anoop KumarDate: 2005-08-24 09:25:28