Re: "Official" version

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ing(dot) Martin Šramko <martin(at)soltec(dot)sk>
Cc: "psqlodbc" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "Official" version
Date: 2005-08-21 18:59:53
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Probably - the a/b parameters haven't changed at all.

> I'm using dataset with more tables connected to database through that
> driver. For each table I've created OdbcCommand with needed
> SQL statements
> (select, insert, update - some or all). On user form, I've 3
> DataGrids to
> allow user to edit, add and delete records to appropriate
> table. Tables are
> in relationship master-detail (1:N), so if user clicks on row
> in master
> datagrid (chooses record in master table), I need to show
> only appropriate
> child rows from detail table in detail datagrid. Sample - user clicks
> receipt with id 1 and I need to show receipt_items from receipt with
> receipt_id = 1. I'm using stored procs with few parameters to
> retrieve data
> from tables. Is it OK?

ODBCCommand - is that a .NET ODBC provider object? If so, is there any reason you're not using Npgsql (if you're working in pure .NET, you are probably better without ODBC if that's possible)?

Anyway, what exactly is slow - retrieval of data when the user selects a master record? How many records are liekly to be in each resultset? Does the Use Declare/Fetch option make any difference?

Regards, Dave.