Re: Patch for Libpq enabled psqlodbc

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, "Anoop Kumar" <anoopk(at)pervasive-postgres(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for Libpq enabled psqlodbc
Date: 2005-07-13 07:36:50
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: Joel Fradkin [mailto:jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com]
Sent: 13 July 2005 00:55
To: Dave Page; 'Anoop Kumar'; pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: [ODBC] Patch for Libpq enabled psqlodbc

Not sure what a regression test encompasses (sorry for being
ignorant), but if I can help let me know.

I program in several languages, so not sure if this is a set of
SQL statements, or something in code.

Essentially it would be a program in C (so it would run on Windows and
*nix) designed to run an automated test of (eventually) every function
of the driver. Ideally, tests should be outside the program and in an
easily edittable format (and require little or no C code). For example,
a very basic generic test might involve running an SQL script to create
a table and insert some rows, and then running a second script to
examine that data. The results are then compared against a file of
'expected' results and discrepencies reported.

The difficult bit is writing the system to make it nice and easy to add
tests. If you want to look at this further, it might be worth looking at
the Npgsql equivalent at
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/npgsql/cvs/cvs.php/Npgsql/src/testsu
ite/noninteractive for inspiration.

Regards, Dave.