Re: PgAdmin Bug: using verly large varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when viewing Table

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <jan(dot)dwinger(at)asinteractive(dot)de>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgAdmin Bug: using verly large varchar (binary Data) -> always Crash when viewing Table
Date: 2005-07-07 14:25:59
Lists: pgadmin-support

________________________________

From: jan(dot)dwinger(at)asinteractive(dot)de [mailto:jan(dot)dwinger(at)asinteractive(dot)de]
Sent: 07 July 2005 14:32
To: Dave Page

Thx for fast reply.

Okay, we use Dell Computer ( P4 1.4 - 1-8 GHz / 256 MB - 512 MB ).
Client Computer always running with Windows 2000 Pro SP4, all our Server running with Linux, of course.
Background running Software always Outlook 2001 SP1 and McAfee McShield (old, old old)

OK, for comparison, I'm on a 2GHz Dell Latitude D800 notebook, with 1GB of RAM, running XP Pro SP2, Sophos AV, Outlook 2K3 and a couple of Msys consoles. PostgreSQL 8.0.3 is running as a service on the local machine.

Testing with 3 Win2k Client, all have the same Problem.

First all Applikation Windows freeze, cannot move Mouse over bottom Taskborder, 5 second later Mouse freeze, Keyboard is dead.

Look like a Problem with Win2k, no Error is logged by pgAdmin 1.3 (Jun 19 2005).

than i stopped my Virus Scanner, stop Outlook and other running background Software, testing again.

create a new Table test_varchar (id,files) and write 20 inserts

insert into test_varchar(files) values (repeat('4F',4001));
.
.
.

insert into test_varchar(files) values (repeat('4F',4020));

funny, the Log show only max 1536 Bytes per Thread/Execution, cutting and some awful Characters "㝴ġ"

I execute inserts above 50 times. Viewing Table View and execute inserts again with no Problem,
but suddenly 2 Minutes later Screen goes blank, TFT goes Offline, PC crashed :(

I put the last Lines from pgAdmin Log here.

Running the tests as you describe, I see almost instant response when editting, scrolling resizing etc. Certainly no crashes, or any unexpected behaviour for that matter.

Unfortunately I don't have a win2k system I can try this on - does someone else please? Jan, do you have an XP or 2K3 system you could try the same tests on?

Regards, Dave.