Re: Installing postgres on win XP

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Anup Bordia" <abordia99(at)hotmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing postgres on win XP
Date: 2005-08-09 18:15:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us]
Sent: Tue 8/9/2005 6:27 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Anup Bordia; pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Installing postgres on win XP

>> Are you running straight from Winzip? If so, extract the files to disk
>> first, then run it.
>
> Does anyone know why it can't install without being unzipped,

Because when you double click on the file in Winzip, it seems to do strange things with what it extracts - specifically, I don't think it extracts the rest of the files in the archive like it seems to for some installers, perhaps because it doesn't recognise msi files and treat them like it might for 'setup.exe' files. In our case, it doesn't find the main installer database, so it bootstraps and gets the language, then fails when it trys to go any further.

> and can
> that be fixed?

Extract first, then run. Or get Winzip fixed.

Regards, Dave

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date