Re: Remote administration functionality

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,"PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote administration functionality
Date: 2005-07-31 16:11:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Momjian [mailto:pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us]
Sent: Sun 7/31/2005 2:58 PM
To: Dave Page
Cc: Tom Lane; Magnus Hagander; PostgreSQL-development
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Remote administration functionality

> I was thinking of a global table that can be modified with
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE and is then dumped to a flat file, like we do with
> pg_shadow.

The problem is, pg_hba.conf might be editted via the OS unlike the text version of pg_shadow which is only editted via the server, which would make appropriate locking nigh-on impossible afaics.

Unless you're advocating only allowing pg_hba modifications via the server, in which case it must be started in default configuration before any mods can be made. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me :-(

Regards, Dave.