Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Asger Petersen" <asger(at)jo-informatik(dot)dk>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Extremely slow queries in pgAdminIII
Date: 2005-03-19 22:07:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

Not necessarily - iirc, it'll use one in the working directory, the
system32 directory or the path. It's not quite the same on all versions
of windows either, but I can't find the relevant docs atm.

> The situation is:
> The database host: win2k, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w.
> pgInstaller rc2,
> libpq.dll version 8.0.0.4356. (pgAdmin on this machine is also slow)

OK (you should really upgrade that to 8.0.1!).

> Slow client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer downloaded
> from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0
> Fast client: winXP, pgAdminIII 1.2.0 installed w. installer downloaded
> from pgadmin.org, libpq.dll version 8.0.0.0

Hmm, OK. That's my mingw vs vc++ theory out the window :-(

> Trying to dig deeper into this, I have used psql on the database host
> and on the fast client. On the host my query took forever whereas it
> finished in 10 secs on the fast client. So to me it seems
> pgAdmin is not
> really the problem here, but now I have no idea where to look next :-(

No - it's beginning to sound more like a network issue. Anything odd
about the network config on any of those machines, or the switches they
connect to? Firewalls, that sort of thing? Mind you, it's odd that it's
slow running the client on the server as well....

Magnus - this is the case I mentioned yesterday. There is no obvious
relationship between libpq versions and slow/fast machines. One of the
slow machines is the server itself, and it seems that psql is affected
as well. Any ideas?

Regards, Dave.