Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: pgAgent Scheduler Design
Date: 2005-03-07 23:02:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hmm, not sure about that. I definitely want to hear some other opinions
on this please!!

> This doesn't enable multi agents. There should be a limit on
> threads per
> agent to give other instances a chance.
>
> >The use of multiple agents by the vast majority of people
> seems unlikely to me - especially given the lack of control
> over what runs on what agent. In particular, the majority of
> jobs are likely to be SQL jobs, the distribution of which is
> pretty much irrelevant anyway as all the hard work is done by
> the server. I'm not convinced that many people will want to
> run resource hungry batch jobs that may run on random agent machines.
> >

> Binary jobs (shell jobs) need a system qualifier.

Well that would tie in with the multi-thread model, and the current code
which is broken with multiple agents anyway (because there is nothing to
stop 2 agents grabbing and running the same job at the same time).
Allowing unlimited threads per agent, and allowing a specific system to
be named, we can ensure things start when they should, and can be
properly distributed.

Regards, Dave.