Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the postgresql.org site

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Robert Bernier" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, "Justin Clift" <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the postgresql.org site
Date: 2005-03-07 22:49:17
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi Robert,

> Please pass this email on to whomever else you feel should be
> aware of this.

Probably best to keep discussion on the pgsql-www list.

> You will find attached a zipped archive containing three
> files: default.php, README.txt and sampleEmails.txt
>
> The code is less than 50 lines and is amazingly simple. It
> takes advantage of a running IMAP server in that you submit a
> news article to the email account and it automatically gets
> added, properly formatted, into the news feed.
>
> I've set up "default.php" to read the IMAP server directly
> and feed it straight to the webserver. However, you could
> always read it through a browser first and save the source
> code as an XML file. This XML file is then read directly by
> the webserver instead of the PHP page i.e. faster performance.

We would run the code in this way on wwwmaster.postgresql.org. It would
automatically be saved to a static file periodically, for mirroring to
the static front end servers.

Using an imap source shouldn't be a major problem, but how would you
expire messages? Perhaps some code should be added to delete everything
over 1 month old?

> I have this currently running at
> http://sraapowergres.com/en/newsfeed/ so you can see what it
> looks like. May I suggest that you try it with both a news
> reader and download the source through your browser. I used
> KDE's aKregator to do my testing on it.

Hmm, Firefox doesn't like that very much, perhaps because it's being
served as text/html not application/rss+xml:
http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsraapowergres.com%2F
en%2Fnewsfeed%2F

Regards, Dave.