Re: Irresponsible actions

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Irresponsible actions
Date: 2004-12-23 08:55:28
Lists: pgsql-www

<snip>

Yes, it does.

> Putting the site live as you did was not a wise move, as broken links
> are prevalent and in some cases entire sections were broken
> because you
> cut corners and did not allow time for testing.
> Making changes to CVS
> *just before you go live* is hardly a well thought out
> methodology. As a
> result of this, the documentation section was entirely broken.

No, the doc section was not broken. The URLs had changed so users of
phpPgAdmin (which links directly to them) could no longer find the
pages, but the site itself was fine.

> I suggest that you heed objections in the future, if you write to the
> community seeking them.
>
> Your actions are reckless, thoughtless and without consensus.

Because of the overwhelming desire from the community to go live prior
to the release of 8.0 I put the suggestion of doing so yesterday to the
group. I count 4 people saying, yes, go for it, and one saying not yet.
Unless you want to wait another few months, we would be unlikely to meet
a concencus as has been proven time and time again. So, in the interests
of getting the site live, I went with a majority vote. I'm pretty sure
we all thought about whether the few remaining issues outweighed the
need to go live now or not - I'm damn sure you have no idea how much we
thought about it.

> Perhaps
> roles in the PostgreSQL web team need to be rethought, so
> that positions
> of responsibility are given only to those who are team players.
>
> In the future, please, think before you do.

Team players are those that consult and work together with their peers.
You clearly do not seem to be doing this:

- You change commits by others without discussion.
- You ignore direct questions/emails (for example, my question about
'clipping x-overflow').
- You ignore any suggestions for changes which seem not to meet your
'vision' (for example, the need to make the surveys more visible as
agreed by a number of people).

Frankly, I'm glad I am not a customer of tinysofa if you treat them in
the same way.

Please remember, although we try to work as group, there are people such
as myself and Robert who act as the project webmasters and control CVS
access, and -core who ultimately have the final say on /anything/ that
happens under the postgresql.org domain. It would be wise to try to work
with us all and accept that sometimes, the majority opinion will not
match your own.

Regards, Dave.