Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 14:54:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

For a new install, get the file if it is newer than the build date. Once
a file is downloaded, it's modification date is logged in the registry
and used for future checks. I wasn't proposing a CVS client in pgAdmin
BTW - viewcvs with appropriate templates should be easily parse-able,
and it can certainly serve files of any version, from any branch.

> > Mind you, maybe I'm underestimating the number of users we may get.
> > Perhaps this should work from the ftp mirror network?
>
> I've been asking about this a while ago. We don't know until
> we try, I'm afraid...

No, but it might be better to assume the worst...

Doing it this way, it shouldn't be too difficult to automate an
extraction from CVS onto the master server, and generate an index file
of what's there. The more I think about it, the more that seems the best
option...

Regards, Dave.