Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 14:21:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

As long as that file can be (and is) automatically updated.

> Second, the issue is not to retrieve a version, but to
> identify the version of the language file currently in use.
> We need an identifyable string inside the file for that.

More preciesly, the issue is to detect whether a file has been updated.
I suggested CVS as it should be simple to initial look for a file newer
than the releases CVS tag, and following that, newer than the one
previously downloaded. It also reduces the administration overhead.

Mind you, maybe I'm underestimating the number of users we may get.
Perhaps this should work from the ftp mirror network?

Regards, Dave.