Re: Statistics logging of auto update http queries

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Statistics logging of auto update http queries
Date: 2004-12-03 13:53:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support

OK.

> - Before the first update check is performed, the user must
> be informed about what's going to happen, pointing to the
> help item describing the post format and the possibility to
> disable it.

OK. Perhaps every 6 or 12 checks assuming they are normally monthly, to
make sure the user doesn't forget?

> - The docs must state clearly what data is transmitted, how
> it's collected, what we do with it (and what we promise never
> to do), and point to the sources handling that data for
> reviewing purposes.

Yes. A full privacy policy is essential.

> Data transmitted:
> - pgadmin version in use
> - language in use
> - update interval (to calculate a weight)
> - number of registered servers
> - major version of servers that have been used with pgadmin
> (collected in the registry)
>
> Collected: as above, plus country taken from requesting ip address.

OK.

> Explicitely not to collect: ip address.

The webserver will log this, so we must mention it. It would not be
indexed or linked to the other data collected though.

> This data would allow us to estimate the number of pgadmin
> instances running worldwide, its global distribution and
> language usage (and resulting from that, which additional
> languages should be supported).
> Number of registered servers and versions will give us some
> hint about the server side.

Yes. I would love to see this info, as long as we do not breach anyones
right to privacy, or not to be counted. But your proposal should cover
those rights.

> Dave, do you know some OSS authority to review this policy?

No, but I've included the support group in the CC to at least include a
few more people than are on -hackers.

Regards, Dave.

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Troels ArvinDate: 2004-12-03 14:09:46