Re: RFC: Update wizard

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Update wizard
Date: 2004-12-03 12:59:05
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

No, it doesn't, unless it finds a placeholder such as $Id. Even then, I
don't think it does so for binary files.

> > In that case then, why distribute the languages seperately?
>
> I don't understand the question. We *do* distribute the
> languages packaged, no?

I think I was asking why we shouldn't include the languages in the
update zip file, but it was a few days ago now :-) Forget about it!

> > As I also suggested though, there should be an option to turn off
> > auto-checking on the options dialogue. But I could live with non
> > flashing.
>
> Disabling autocheck and not updating immediately are different things.

The option controls the background checking for updates. If you then
double click the alert icon, a dialogue is presented allowing you to
select a mirror and download.

Speaking of which, we will need to have a list of mirrors on the main
webserver that can be downloaded... That is not a problem though.

> Every 60 days (e.g.) updates are checked, and a feedback is
> given to the user. After that, the user might decide to
> upgrade immediately, or do it later.
> Statusbar icon seems the best solution (but it will need some
> effort; tooltip and doubleclick on that icon must be supported)

Yeah.

Regards, Dave.