Re: ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <anthony(dot)caduto(at)micorp(dot)com>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)
Date: 2004-10-07 20:02:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of
anthony(dot)caduto(at)micorp(dot)com
Sent: 06 October 2004 16:59
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ODBC] ODBC Snapshot Installer (for Dave Page)

Dave,
I have successfully created a ODBC installer and it looks almost
identical to the current MSI one.
I looked at the M$ stuff you mentioned and the learning curve
is pretty high.
I created this one with Inno Setup 5 and it only took a few
minutes and is much easier to use than MSI or that xml msi stuff

Like I said, I would be willing to take over creating the
installer if you don't mind switching to Inno Setup.

I could also do the setup for PGAdmin III :-)

Hi Tony,

Thanks, however as I said we intentionally use MSI based setup because
of the benefits of features such as merge modules, custom actions and
the fact that it's Microsoft's supported installation technique. I
realise that you dislike supporting them, but there's little sense
avoiding using their tools when targeting their platform - especially
when they do make them Open Source.

Feel free to try again with Wix if you like - I think I mentioned that
it has a decompiler, so porting the installer MSM and then it's MSI
files should simply be a case of running the decompiler on each of 2
existing files, and doing a little cleaning work.

Regards, Dave.