Re: Repost: Patch: view data for tables/views on double click

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <ian(at)uns(dot)ns(dot)ac(dot)yu>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Repost: Patch: view data for tables/views on double click
Date: 2004-09-23 07:26:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I think this is exactly when it should be enabled - such that you have
the choice that double click can do one of the following:

- Nothing
- Open the data view on a table/view (and nothing on other objects)
- Open the properties dialogue.

> 2. In the same tab, a parameter labeled "Maximum rows in data
> view" is introduced. It is used to limit the number of rows
> retrieved when constructing the data view/edit grid if
> greater than zero. The default value is set to 500, although
> it could be set to 0 (unlimited) to keep the behavior prior
> to its introduction.

I'm unconvinced about silently limiting the number of rows - that's
bound to cause a few support emails with ppl not realising there's a
default limit (500 seems a little low anyway - what does the maximum
query rows default to? For that matter, is there any real need for a
separate parameter?). In the query tool it tells the user that greater
than X rows will be retrieved, and gives the option to cancel or go
ahead - this seems nicer behaviour to me.

> The patch also arranges reading and writing of the new
> parameters from and to the configuration file.
>
> The patch is against the beta1 source tree; I could re-sync
> it to the latest snapshot if needed.

This is a new feature - it's application will be deferred until after we
branch following release as we're currently in feature freeze.

Sorry for the negative comments - I'm trying very hard not to discourage
you from contributing further, however I'm sure you realise that pgAdmin
got where it is today by us considering all aspects of its usability and
design very carefully before implementing anything. We'll get there in
the end though!!

Regards, Dave.